Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Crystal Light at the end of the tunnel

When I got home from work today, my sweet husband asked how my day was.  I was lamenting that today, day two of the Glee Diet (as we have come to call it - New Directions - get it?), I really missed flavors and food.  The smells coming from the breakroom at lunch were GLORIOUS and I only had chocolate pudding to eat.  I wanted something other than powdery flavor and water. 

I spent a fair amount of time today thinking about how lucky "eaters" are - they can have virtually ANYTHING they want for lunch or dinner, and I have only one choice really.  And, when I was an eater, I didn't really notice or celebrate the fact that I could have ANYTHING.  Oh, the squandered meals!  The quick lunches to Subway where I didn't even gush over the freshness of the bread or the crisp lettuce!  What have I been doing?

Then, my sweet husband said, "did you read the binder they gave you?  Maybe there's something in there that will help."  As usual, he was right.  (One of the many reasons I married him.)

I was thinking I could only drink water.  But, NO!  I have options!  Coffee (which I knew about) and tea, and the thing I've been dreaming about all day - CRYSTAL LIGHT.  The many flavors!  The fruity wonderfulness!  The variety!  The portability!  Drinking 64+ ounces of water a day will now be a veritable fiesta of flavors!  

It's a small victory, my friends - but it's important to remember this moment because the truth is this:  the grass is only greener over the septic tank.  Once I tire of Crystal Light, I'll be maudlin again, but for tonight, the promise of going to the grocery store and buying some fruity flavor has renewed my dedication in this process.

And, isn't that what it's really about?  Each day, we identify the thing that vexes us, and spend time trying to resolve it.  And, the work is worth it:  houses feel best after they've been dusted and scrubbed, eyebrows look superb when recently groomed, and babies are often most adorable when freshly bathed, smelling of powder, and sleeping sweetly.  

After the hard work, there is a result worth having.  There really IS light at the end of the tunnel, even if for today, it's only Crystal Light.







No comments:

Post a Comment