Friday, July 29, 2011

My village people

They say that no man is an island.  No woman is an island, either - even when she feels as big as one.  Doing this diet is not something I am accomplishing on my own.  But, I'm not sure how many of you know that you've played a role in this, however small.


Of course, my sweet husband and stepson have been highly affected.  They are supportive and encouraging, and they do their best to tell me so.  But the affect on them is far greater than you think.  Since I began this diet, poor Max has had to listen to me talk about good carbs and saturated fats, proteins and veggies, and the virtues of eating better - while he's trying to enjoy his hot dog.  Paul has changed his eating habits too - and even taken to eating his dinner before I get home instead of doing it in front of me, even though that's not necessary.  


Even harder, though, is the fact that we don't go out to dinner anymore, really.  We don't order pizza, we don't share popcorn at the movies, and we never stop for Andy's Frozen Custard after a long day.  In essence, they have given up all of these things along with me - at least for the most part - and even more unbelievably, they have survived.


Speaking of eating out, that's a big change, too.  I hardly ever go to lunch with my friends at work anymore, and find myself working through the lunch hour while I sip my shake.  I miss the conversation, the laughter, and the company of my friends.  I just don't think I'm ready to go out to lunch and only drink my shake - I am afraid I'll slip and eat something I shouldn't, and so I don't go.  Right choice for my health and diet goals, but not such a great choice for my social side.


Beyond the people I see every day, I have gotten lots of messages from friends saying, "love the blog- keep it up!" or "great job - you look wonderful!"  These little notes remind me that I am doing something that matters, and that I need to stay committed.  They work - so thank you for all of them.


Some of you have shared more than just a quick message.  Recently, my friend Harv emailed me to share his dieting success, saying my saga was inspiring him. He has lost 17 lbs. by eating less calories and approaching food differently.  I can tell that he's struggling with the idea of this change, wondering how he became someone who eats to get full, rather than someone who eats for fuel.  But he's making great progress that he's inspired to do more.  I'm really proud of him.


Even around the office, there are lots of people sharing how my diet has inspired them.  One lady told me that she is finally recommitting to losing those last five pounds now.  Another friend decided to start this same diet, and is rocking it out every week with her shakes.  I didn't even go to the staff cake, cookie and tart "throw down" competition, because it was all terrible for me, and I had to stay away - and nobody made me feel bad at all.  


Mural by Maxfield Parrish
In some ways, I feel a bit like a pied piper - sharing these tidbits of knowledge about protein and ketosis, the virtues of non-soluble fibers, and the importance of eating your veggies - even when nobody really wants to hear them.  It's almost as if I have to keep saying it so I'll know - not really so they'll know - and they somehow understand that.


No matter what you may think, it does take a village for everything that matters.  I am lucky to have such an incredibly encouraging village - one that doesn't try and tempt me with cookies or look at me funny because I have terrible ketosis breath.  Instead, my village offers a sugar-free mint and mentions that my clothes are looking looser - and tries to keep me going.  In a world where people sometimes break you down just to make themselves feel better, I know how lucky I am to have this village.


So, thank you, my village people.  I literally couldn't do this without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment