Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Weekly Weigh In #16 and #17: Getting Back to the Routine

Mom, Paul, me and Max at the Member Preview
for Crystal Bridges.
The last two weeks have been incredibly eventful, exhausting, exciting, and most of all - historic.  I have not had a moment to breathe, let alone blog.  I also found it terribly difficult to find time to get to the doctor's office and weigh in- in fact, I didn't weigh in at all last week.  I went yesterday and finally caught up, and here's what it said:


Weight:  218
Pounds lost:  0
Pounds gained:  0
Total pounds lost:  51


The fact that I did not gain any weight is pretty incredible... it's been quite a journey.


I weighed in on November 2, and the next day, I went to Little Rock.  I saw approximately 360 of my favorite art teachers on earth at the Arkansas Art Educators Conference, which I enjoy every year.  While there, I was honored with an award for Distinguished Service Within the Profession of Art Education, and I delivered a keynote speech at the closing luncheon.  I spent time with colleagues and friends, and really enjoyed reconnecting with some of the most talented teachers in the country.


I came home and immediately launched into opening week activities for the museum.  There were galas for two nights where people in black tie attire discovered the museum for the first time.  I met artists who hang in our collection, leaders of other museums, collectors, donors, and other notable art lovers - and it was magical.  The volunteers and staff were amazing - even though their feet hurt and they were beyond exhausted, each and every one of them was generous with their smile and their time.  The clothes I bought to wear for the events were actually too big for me on the nights of the galas - which is awesome, but highly inconvenient when you're heading out to a black tie affair!  I wore a roomy black suit the first night, and shopped the next day for something that fits better.


Next was the 25-hour Member Preview Day.  Over 7,000 people came to see their museum, and it was fantastic.  Well organized and thought out, our special events team, security, and facilities folks deserve a lot of kudos.  People were amazed, and they loved the museum's architecture and collection.  I worked late into the night, and gave a midnight tour of the collection.  The next day, I was part of a private tour for former President Clinton - a real honor.  He is smart, funny, and was very interested in both our collection and our architecture.


Then, opening day came, and the world was finally let in to Crystal Bridges... it was exciting!  There was a great opening ceremony on the downtown Bentonville square, where our architect, executive director, and board chair all welcomed the world to Bentonville... and the museum opened.  It actually opened.  After all this time.  It was open.  I was emotional, excited, and overwhelmed - this day that I had been working towards for more than 3 years was finally here.  


Public response has been great.  Most everyone has left smiling and saying they cannot wait to come back.  


I am incredibly proud of so many people.  Our Gallery Guides and Trail Guides have been training for nearly a year to tell the world about our museum, and they were brilliant! Our staff produced an audio tour, that's downloadable in the iTunes app store and wildly popular with the public.  All the museum educators have done a fantastic job this weekend, in fact - with the drop in studio and experience art studio particularly.  Our galleries look incredibly beautiful, thanks to our curatorial and prep staff.  Our grounds and trails are stunning, even as the leaves begin to fall off the trees... and the architecture glows at night from within.


The museum opening was not the only thing happening this week.  Among the opening events, we also had visits from family - my parents, and Paul's sister Marion.  Max was in his very first school play - The Trojan Women - and it was fantastic!  And, Max turned 15 on Sunday.  I'm really glad we had family in town for all the big events of the beginning of November - it's been great to share it with everyone.


With all that has happened in the last 2 weeks, it's no wonder I didn't have time to weigh in.  In fact, my diet was not the most important thing in my life for two whole weeks... and I survived.  I ate a couple meals with family or work folks, but I ate smart meals - and stayed in ketosis.  I walked miles and miles of gallery floors, and stood for so many hours that my legs were weak and fatigued.  I didn't have enough water because I was in galleries all day (and water is not allowed) so I'd drink lots of water at night to make up for it.  Overall, I made great choices so I could stay on track, but I didn't let my diet prohibit me from enjoying two of the biggest weeks of my life.  I felt good about all my choices, and I'd do it all over again, just the same way.


Many times during the week, when I was feeling tired and sore, I wondered if I could have made it through all of this with 51 extra pounds on my frame - I think the answer is no.  I am so glad that I started this journey when I did, and got at least halfway there by opening day.  I was  much more ready for the physical demands of opening week than I would have been at my starting weight.  The last two weeks are absolute proof that being healthy is the goal, as well as the reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment