Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Weekly Weigh In #18: Non-Plussed!

I cannot remember a time when I walked into a clothing store and went anywhere but the plus size section.  It's automatic - I look for the area in the far corner filled with dark and plain clothing, and walk that way without even seeing anything else.  And that's just how you do it when you're fat.

I've been replacing my clothes as I lose weight, but I have really only replaced WORK clothes - the things people see me in.  My nightgowns, casual clothes, and play clothes have taken a backseat for sure.  Now that winter has arrived, running around the house in baggy clothes and billowy, voluminous nightgowns isn't going to cut it - so it's time for some new play clothes.

I can't justify spending a lot of money on something like sweatpants that I only wear around the house, so I went to Walmart to find something cheap and warm.  I went to the women's section, and reached for a pair of JMS (Just My Size) 2x pants.  They were too big.  I tried 1x... also too big...

Hmph.  I was stumped - what do you do when 1x is too big?  That's the smallest Just My Size...

OH MY GOD.  I started to sweat and giggle, and realized I needed to go to the other side of the wall... into THE REGULAR SIZE SECTION.

I have not been in this section for a very, very long time.  I walked to the other side with caution - almost as if someone would see me there, and yell, "hey, lady - no.  Just no.  This is not your area."  (Totally didn't happen.)  Once there, I found the activewear, and began to look for my size.  Of course, I went for black - old habit.  I grabbed two pairs of cotton pants, and held them up to my waist to see which would go around me.  I was astounded that the XXL pants in the regular size section WERE TOO BIG... and the XL pants fit just right.  Oh my God... I was about to buy clothes from the regular size section for the first time.  

One of my biggest discoveries was how different things are on the other side of the wall.  There are FAR more choices, fabrics, and colors for just about everything.  There are colors!  Patterns!  Textures!  These things just don't happen in the women's section - at least, not in the same way.  I was amazed and, honestly, a little overwhelmed.  Thank God I was only looking for some soft, comfy sweatpants and not an actual outfit - I would have been on the floor, curled in a ball, twitching.  (I may need help when it's time to shop for real clothes in this section.)

Let's be perfectly clear - I am fully aware that these stretchy, soft pants are just to wear around the house, and that most of my work clothes are still plus size.  I am not yet out of the fat girl's section, but I'm closer than ever.  And this is the beginning.

I weighed in yesterday, and had an interesting result:

Weight:  214
Pounds added:  +1
Total pounds lost:  55

I was disappointed, but not entirely surprised - I could feel that my body was holding a lot more water than usual.  I also knew that the number on the scale wasn't everything, so I simply rolled with it and recommitted to being more vigilant about drinking my water this coming week.  And honestly, I was still on my XL pants "high"... my real measure of success this week.

The one-pound gain did not horribly affect me - that's a huge plus.  Fitting into a pair of XL pants from the regular size section COMPLETELY AFFECTED ME - because they were NOT a huge plus.  

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Niki, you are looking amazing as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile SO much. Good for you, girl. You continue to inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tobietaylor@hotmail.comDecember 16, 2011 at 1:19 AM

    Awesome! I have totally had the same experience on my New Directions journey. It is too funny that you said you could feel the water on your body because I find I can too on this diet. Girl, I totally know what you mean about buying clothes. I have to ask for help from the clerks in the store because I have NO idea what I'm doing! I NEVER cared about fashion before, of course! I don't know what to put together at all! Keep it up! You're doing awesome. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete